22 September 2014

Day 6 and 7: Spiritual Food

I mentioned in my first 30 days to joyful Motherhood the feeling of being spiritually dehydrated. I think this is a fantastic metaphor for the feeling, and I have definitely been feeling it.

To me, spiritual dehydration feels like a hollowness, deep within. While that hollowness is there, I find it hard to feel in harmony and at peace, and able to have patience and love as much as I normally do.  And I can honestly say that the only way I know of to regain that sense of peace, love and harmony is to get on my knees and pray. To beg for forgiveness for my shortcomings, read the scriptures and study talks or messages to find the steps I need to take to improve myself.

It is one of the things that tells me the gospel is true: that it works every. Single. Time.

And not only that, but finding the time to pray really does improve my days. Maybe someone who simply meditates about the day ahead gets a similar response, but the experiences I have had in my life tell me that there is another power, and that prayer connects you with that power, for as long as you are able to maintain that harmonious connection.

I find it very hard to find the time to do that when surrounded by the demands of a family. But today I managed it with my little toddler playing around me. She kept interrupting me with beautiful cuddles and kisses, which made it all the more meaningful.

I desperately need to maintain peaceful centre, if I am going to be the Mum I want to be.

The Mum who doesn't shout. Or seem to ever get angry at all.

The Mum who is loving, and understanding and kind, who a little one would not be afraid of going to with a problem or a mistake.

So I need to make more use of that connection, and that is my next aim. It will be a good experiment too, to see just what impact praying at least every morning will have, and working harder to fit in study.

P.S Today I studied this talk, which I think is brilliant for any parents out there struggling with certain aspects of parenting.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/04/what-manner-of-men-and-women-ought-ye-to-be?lang=eng


No comments:

Post a Comment