03 April 2011

For Our Mothers

As a new mother, I approach writing this with some apprehension. I think I understand now the term “words cannot describe.” Words cannot describe how I feel about Josiah. I love every dribble, burp and giggle. I go out of my way to prevent his discomfort, because I hate it when he cries. It breaks my heart. I see how much potential he has, and long for him to do all he can to achieve. But most of all I want him to be happy. When I think about these feelings I have for my son, I realise how our Mothers must feel for us.
DSCF0065
My mother is a rock. She sacrificed much to join the church, and for that I am so full of gratitude. She has faced many challenges throughout her life though I am sure I only know of a fraction, but she has always risen above them whether brought about by her six children or the difficulties of the times. She managed to work to help support the family while still putting huge amounts of time and energy into us, and her grandchildren. She is my role model, my friend and my mentor, and I am sorry  for the times when I do not show as much gratitude as I perhaps should. I was not the easiest teenager in the world, but my Mum saw me through, mainly I think because she expected me to.
39460_10150107745755610_514605609_8051262_2519309_n
I do not know Mark’s mother nearly as well as my own Mum, but I benefit from her input every day of my life. I do not believe that Mark would have turned out nearly so well as he did without the parents he has. His Mum…no wait Mam… put so much into the upbringing of her children, and I am so grateful for that. More than that, she too has become my friend, and I often wonder how I can be more like her.
P1000778
Though nothing can replace a mother, there are many other women who I would like to thank for their input in my life. In particular I am right now thinking of my eldest sister Helen. My parents have before said that Helen set the tone for the family. When she came home from school talking a certain way, the rest of us followed suit. I am sure there are many other things that we followed her example in too, and I for one am so glad that she always endeavours to reach high standards of excellence.
With so many excellent and amazing women in my life, I want them to realise how much I appreciate their input. Thank you for everything, and I hope thaT I too can one day have affected others’ lives the way you have affected mine.
Happy Mothers’ Day to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment