12 July 2011

The end of a chapter

The sun was setting on my run today. It was slowly lowering itself over the hills, with its light making the old city glow. It was as though the sun was trying to take one last peek at the beautiful city, just like I was.

COIMBRA1

We go home tomorrow. It is a very strange feeling. I am very excited for the new phase of life, to be near family friends again and start anew, but I can’t help to feel sorrowful that this amazing chapter of our lives is ending. The feeling of ending started on Saturday, when I was given a huge surprise by the wonderful relief society here. They had planned it for some weeks and kept it a secret with Marks help, and we, along with Marks Mam and Dad found ourselves at the Ribeiro’s family house where a huge amount of delicious food had been prepared such as grilled sardines, little tuna fritters, and a Brazilian specialty dish. There was also a huge tart much like a pastel de nata for dessert. I was incredibly overwhelmed by the love I felt from the sisters, especially when they all surrounded me and started singing “Coimbra” which in English goes “Coimbra is so much the sweeter at the time of parting” or something like that. I’m not sure if that’s true, because to me it has been pretty sweet here the whole time. They also presented gifts, such as a plate with the university hill on it which will always make me nostalgic for Coimbra.

I have learned, changed, and grown a lot while I have been here. I have been faced with many new challenges, and I am glad to say that I feel like I have risen to them quite well. I have become a mother, and a full time house wife. I have had an amazing amount of time to devote to my husband and role, which I feel has really benefitted us. And I have learned to make friends through the language barrier.

Largely I think that is thanks to the amazing people here. They have so many challenges, and have taught me so so much through their examples. This is not an easy country to live in, but they rise to the challenges and are rocks to the people around them. The church here relies so much on the strong young people, and they are more than a match for anything. I hope to be like them, to serve and work with as much faith and diligence. I will miss them all, but even as we were saying goodbye I knew this isn’t the end of our friendships. The great thing about the church is that you always have an eternal perspective in mind, and I know we will be friends forever. And of course before forever, we will definitely be coming back to visit, and we hope that they will come to England some time for a holiday!

So goodbye Coimbra. Goodbye bakeries, cobbled streets, little old ladies, and fruit that is so juicy that you have to eat it over a sink. Goodbye palm trees, blue skies and warm sun. Goodbye for now, friends who we will miss. We will hold this year in our hearts, forever.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Coimbra for taking such good care of my little sister!

    ReplyDelete